Every setback comes with two events.
The first is what actually happened.
The second is the story you tell yourself about it.
“I got laid off.”
That’s a fact.
“I’ll never find another great opportunity.”
That’s a story.
“I made a mistake.”
That’s a fact.
“I’m just not good enough.”
That’s a story.
The problem is that we often confuse the two.
When we do, we stop responding to reality and start responding to the story we’ve created.
That’s where a victim mentality begins.
It doesn’t happen because you’re weak. It happens because your brain is trying to explain something painful.
But explanations aren’t always accurate.
Sometimes the healthiest thing you can do is challenge the story you’ve been repeating.
Maybe this isn’t the end.
Maybe this isn’t your identity.
Maybe this is simply one chapter.
Your future deserves better than a story written during your worst day.
If you’re rebuilding confidence after a setback and want practical tools to move forward, learn more at kinneyconfidence.com.
Comments
Post a Comment